By Anthony Robert Petterson
It demanding situations the scholarly consensus, going again to the thesis of Julius Wellhausen, that the excessive priest took over the position and prerogatives of the pre-exilic monarch within the early post-exilic interval. in its place, Zechariah basically envisages Joshua the excessive priest being reinstated to the temple tasks that have been undertaken sooner than the exile. in addition, Zechariah doesn't establish Zerubbabel because the promised destiny Davidic king ("Shoot"). particularly, Zechariah demonstrates a desire for the recovery of a Davidic king who can have a key function in temple construction after the time of Zerubbabel.
The trust that Zechariah Sep 11 and 12-14 are oracles that search to reinterpret prophecies that experience turn into frustrating can also be challenged. there's no powerful facts that the desire for the home of David in Zechariah 9-14 contradicts the presentation of Zechariah 1-8. This thesis indicates how those later chapters proceed and boost some of the topics on the topic of the Davidic desire in Zechariah 1-8.
The photograph of the Davidic wish that emerges from the booklet of Zechariah is in line with the expectancies of previous prophets and confirms that the publication, whilst learn as a complete, presents a robust impetus for later messianism within the post-exilic interval.
Read Online or Download Behold Your King: The Hope For the House of David in the Book of Zechariah PDF
Best old testament books
This monograph seeks to reply to the query why Melchizedek, who's a minor determine within the outdated testomony, is chosen by way of the writer of the Epistle to the Hebrews to symbolize the priesthood of Christ. during his learn, Professor Horton surveys the traditions approximately Melchizedek from the previous Testment interval, in Philo, Josephus and Qumran, to the later assets in Rabbinical and patristic writings and the Gnosticism.
It is a thoroughly revised and extended variation of a vintage textual content. Drawing on contemporary paintings on criminal and didactic fabric and together with extra literary interpretation, Blenkinsopp lines the process comparable key traditions--law and wisdom--throughout the background of Israel within the biblical interval.
This new interpretation of the outlet of the e-book of Isaiah proposes a typology of prophetic different types, demanding situations the lifestyles of a style of prophetic rhetoric, and translates Israel s offenses opposed to the socially susceptible as a resistance to the simply rule of JHWH with calamitous results. obvious within the mild of Isa.
- Reading Other-wise. Socially Engaged Biblical Scholars Reading with Their Local Communities (Society of Biblical Literature: Semeia Studies)
- Linguistic Dating of Biblical Texts: An Introduction to Approaches and Problems , vol 1
- Ecclesiastes (Blackwell Bible Commentaries)
- Goulder and the Gospels: An Examination of a New Paradigm
- ’I will be King over you!’: The Rhetoric of Divine Kingship in the Book of Ezekiel
- A Survey of the Old Testament
Extra info for Behold Your King: The Hope For the House of David in the Book of Zechariah
In terms of the contemporary situation, Baldwin sees Zerubbabel and Joshua as the two “sons of oil” who were together the means of bringing hope to the community: Through the high priest acquittal is pronounced and access to God’s presence made possible; through the prince the Temple is completed and the lampstand allowed to shine out to the world. Two “messiahs” or anointed ones have their roles co-ordinated; neither is adequate without the other. They are equal in dignity and importance. 137 134.
1–8 to reÀect the new situation; and second, in the addition of chs. 9–14, which modi¿ed the prophet Zechariah’s work. 9 For instance, 6. Mowinckel, He That Cometh, 120–21. Mowinckel rejects completely the interpretation that Zechariah spoke of an eschatological Messiah. 7. Klausner, Messianic, 196. 8. There is no record indicating why Zerubbabel disappeared off the scene. The most popular explanation is that Zerubbabel fell out of favour with the Persians. L. Waterman, “The CamouÀaged Purge of Three Messianic Conspirators,” JNES 13 (1954): 73–78 (73), contends that Haggai and Zechariah conspired to make Zerubbabel king and Zerubbabel became the victim of their political propaganda.
102. , 207. 103. , 240) that the pierced one of 12:10 “is not precisely identi¿ed” (p. 263), and that the description of the shepherd in 13:7 “provides little basis for a determination” (p. 273). 104. , 284. 105 Tiemeyer’s solution is that while Zerubbabel was “the most likely candidate for the ‘branch’…Zech 3:8b was added at a much later time when Zerubbabel was no longer an important presence in Judah. ”106 In summary, the ¿rst view of the nature of the hope for the house of David in the book of Zechariah holds that Zechariah initially envisaged Zerubbabel as the one who would restore the Davidic monarchy; when, however, he failed to re-establish the throne, Zechariah’s prophecy was altered to reÀect this changed situation.
Behold Your King: The Hope For the House of David in the Book of Zechariah by Anthony Robert Petterson